At a glance
SD-WAN or Software-Defined WAN is a technology that is particularly relevant for data security in connection with
WAN and IoT
A WAN or Wide Area Network is a network that links computers and devices over long distances. The long range is also interesting for devices and applications in the field of IoT: the individual devices often have to be easily accessible not only in the local context, but also guarantee a reliable network connection over a greater distance. WAN is therefore also used in this context. However, conventional WAN poses the challenge that management is relatively complex. To create a secure system, you need to be very familiar with the technology and invest a lot of time and effort in creating secure zones for sensitive use cases within the WAN.
Advantages of SD-WAN
Software-Defined WANs enable the user to set up a secure wide area network that can be flexibly and quickly adapted to the application.
Comprehensive IoT data is extremely important for the optimal operation of IoT applications. Devices must be able to permanently exchange data with each other or with services located in the cloud in order to perform their tasks correctly. This also creates data and access possibilities that could be misused by attackers. The communication channels used should therefore be protected as well as possible against unauthorized access in order to allow the secure transfer of sensitive information. SD-WAN offers precautions that significantly improve the security of communication, for example.
- Microsegmentation (communication runs end-to-end) complicates vulnerability
- exact control of the segmentation down to the smallest detail (overlay networks can be configured in any fine granularity to suit the application)
High-performance data transmission
Software-Defined WAN makes use of various connection types and dynamic, automated load balancing to achieve fast and reliable data transmission. Real-time data transfer is particularly important for automation in IoT: The individual networked devices depend on receiving the latest information from their environment as quickly as possible in order to make the right decisions for automated actions.
- lower costs for provision and operation of a WAN
- low administrative effort
- comparatively simple handling
- more robust Internet connection through additional security
- lower network failure rate and thus lower production downtime
- highly flexible use of the network exactly according to application scenario